Donate A Car to Charity California – You can give out your belongings you no longer need to charity organization to help out those in need. Donating your car is a good way of helping such an organization, and there are lots of charity organization for you to donate your car.
So, if you have old cars you are no longer in use of instead of selling them off or dumping them in your home, you can donate them to charity organization to help out others in need.
Donating your car to charity is a good way to help a good cause, it can also help you get rid of old cars occupying space in your home, and you can claim the car donation as a tax reduction. Now, how do you go about donating your car to charity in California?
6 Steps To Donate Car in California
Donating your car is a good way to help others, a good way to get rid of your old cars and even get tax reduction from car donation.
Follow these steps to donate your car to charity:
- To donate your car to charity in California, you have to first fill an online form of a charity of your choice or by calling such charity on the phone. If you want to claim tax reduction with the car donation, then you need to ensure the charity is an IRS recognized the nonprofit organization.
- You have to check with the charity organization to know their procedures of sending you your receipt. It varies from one charity to another, while some send you tax receipts during the pickup which you can use to claim tax reduction of $500, others might just email you the receipt.
- When giving up your car for donation in California, you need to ensure the license plate number remains with the vehicle at this time.
- You need to fill a Release of Liability form with the California Department of Motor vehicles to release you from any future liability that arises after car donation. This is an important step you shouldn’t miss while donating your car to charity in California. As part of the procedure for filling the Release of Liability, you must return the pink portion of the title or DMV form REG 138 to your local Department of Motor Vehicles. You can use fill a Release of Liability form online at http://www.dmv.ca.gov
- Certain factors affect the amount you will be allowed to deduct from your tax, factors like the price your car was sold at and if your car is considered a fair market value car donation. If your car qualifies for a fair market value tax deduction, you will receive additional tax paperwork after the sale of your car.
- If you plan to claim a tax deduction from car donation on a particular year’s tax, then you need to donate the car before the last month of that year. The charity should have the car before the ending of December if you wish to claim tax reduction from it.
Donating your car to the right charity matters, if you really want to get a fair percentage from car sale through tax reduction and if you really want to a large percentage of profits to be given to the charity of your choice.
First, you need to know about the charity you are selling your car to while donating it for tax reduction claim; you can get an accountant or CPA to tell you how to go about it.
Online Charity Programs
Donating your car to charity organization means a whole lot, you are helping those in need of such profits, and that’s definitely helping a good cause. But the problem here is finding a good charity organization that isn’t just a guise of a charity organization.
This means you need to ensure the charity of your choice is really getting a fair percentage of the profit from the sale of your car. There are some popular charity programs online that can help you donate your car to the right charity. These programs include:
- Charity motors: Not only do the charity of your choice get a fair percentage of the car sale, but you also get a high percentage of tax reduction claim from the sale of your car. So, if you are looking to get a high tax reduction claim, then you need to sign up with this charity program. With charity motors, you get a deduction that is worth the fair market value of the car regardless of the sale price of the car.
- One Car One Difference: This program is run by insurance Auto Auctions Divisions Donation and a donation can be done online Auto donation website or once car one difference website. Gross proceeds gotten from car donation done through this program is up to 70% percentage.
- The Arc Vehicle Donation: This charity program advocates and serves people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. This is another highly beneficial charity program, and you also get help disabled individuals with your car donation.
- Allstate Car Donations: This program is run by a fundraising organization in California known as Centre for Living and Learning. The program provides vocational training for recovering addicts, ex-offenders and at-risk populations. The car donation is processed by apprentices, which serve as an avenue for them to get their salaries. You can donate your car to this charity organization to help out people in need. The program helps them to learn appropriate workplace behaviors, work ethics, and effective communication skills.
There are other popular charity programs online like V-dac which a commercial organization that allows you gain high proceeds from car sale, Rite-way charity that helps you donate your car to charity organizations like Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles.
These are some popular charity programs online that can help you donate your car to the charity of your choice.
If you intend to donate your car for tax reduction claims you need to make sure of these things.
- Know the charity selling the car and find out if it is an IRS recognized charity organization.
- You need to determine the car’s fair market value because this will affect the tax reduction value you get to claim from the car sale.
- When you determine the car’s fair market value, you would know how much tax reduction you get to claim.
- Fill the necessary forms when donating your cars such as Release of Liability form and other documents required for car sale. You also need to have proper documentation of your car donation.
Donating your car is a good way to help others in need, but you need to do it right. If you wish to claim a tax reduction claim, then you need to follow the steps we have shown you. While donating your car, do so with the right charity program to ensure the proceeds of your car sale gets to the charity.